I CAN DO HARD THINGS

What day would you never want to re-live? A disastrous day that comes to my mind is when I got hug the toilet food poisoning, on my 25th birthday, in Park City and had to drive home early, disappointed and miserable. Another unfortunate day is the time my car transmission failed while heading to a college class…my car started rolling down the hill in the middle of busy traffic and class changes.

On a more serious note, I have watched people around me survive devastating moments… loss, abuse, depression. Not to mention things like daily monotony, inadequacy, insecurity, stubbing your baby toe or feeling like you just don’t have the strength to conquer your tasks. Sometimes we feel life is impossible.

However, we all have a deep down ability to overcome hard things…

After interviewing teens and personally speaking with thousands of women in different life circumstances it amazes me how strong we all are. You may not recognize how strong you when you are going through tough times, but you can do hard things.

It keeps me going to remember the strong and gracious women I am surrounded by. Last week, I’ll be honest, I was struggling. I have been getting little sleep (my infant is still not sleeping through the night). I had a pile of work to catch up on. I was getting anxiety about not having the ability to do all my tasks among some other more pressing things… It felt hard. But I took strength from each of you… I think of the teen with no family support while struggling to kick a drug abuse habit. I think of a mother who broke the cycle of abuse for her family through much sacrifice… I think of the woman who is finding balance amid a health crisis, while financially supporting her family. I think of the single woman who through no fault of her own was left with a big mess to clean up…

The list can go on. But the point is- these women have gone through really hard things. Not only are they surviving their burdens, but they have been able to take their experiences and pass on strength to another person who is struggling.

The next time you have a hard day, big or small, remind yourself… I can do hard things!

No comments: