The Parable of the Laundry Room

I thought you might enjoy this.

About a year ago my husband was out of town and I thought I would paint my laundry room as a surprise for his return. I saw a fabulous stripe design contrast for the wall, in a home décor magazine and thought I would try it.

I am not afraid of color, strange patterns or prints on the wall. In fact I love trying bold things. This just turned out a little more bold, colorful and strange then I had in mind. I thought I would try a cost effective route to home décor and purchase the price reduced mis-tint paints. They didn’t have much to choose from so I grabbed a light yellow and light purple. I started painting the yellow and…

YIPES- it was loud! I started to panic but figured the other color will tone it down. So, I spent two days taping stripes while my kids were asleep. The night I started the purple was a catastrophe. After about 5 minutes the paint started to drip, crack and run. I started to panic. I thought the purple paint was defective… blasted purple paint…

I knew I couldn’t leave it atomic YELLOW and half painted dribble purple so I got out a stash of white and finished the stripes. The same thing happened. After about 5 minutes the paint started to drip and run. I looked at the can and discover they had had a different paint base. It was 11:00pm I was sitting by my self on the laundry room floor and just started laughing.

How can we change catastrophes into laughter and learning?

In this situation I created the “10 Reasons Not to Re-Paint.”
This list is posted on the wall and reminds me to smile even when things don’t go your way.
- Because tacky is subjective
- To have a conversation starter
- You can choose to laugh or you can choose to cry… “I would rather laugh crying gives me a headache” (quote from Marjory Hinckley)
- Easter eggs in fall
- You get the feel of Mardi Gras without king cakes, and beads ( I went to high school in Louisiana for a year)
- Another reason to put off doing the laundry
- Sometimes it drips and it is okay
-“It sure is bright and shiney in here” quote from my son
-2 days worth of tape
-It doesn’t look too bad… from a distance

No comments: